Sunday, October 21, 2007

pet cockroaches

OK, so this is my Thursday morning. Baby woke up at 2:00 am, retrieved binkie, stared at ceiling for unknown amount of time. Baby woke at 4:00 am, retrieved binkie, stared at ceiling for unknown amount of time. Baby woke at4:30 am, fed baby. 5:00 am, in the bathroom I hear a scritch, scritch ... I find a giant cockroach stuck in the shower, unable to climb the slick surface of Formica. I grab a bottle of disinfectant and hammer the little sucker to pieces. I remember later to tell my husband to thank me for saving him from an unhealthy surprise when he got up at 5:30 to shower.

Later, that same day. The children are eating breakfast before I take the oldest to school. They are dressed and assembled so I take a small moment to use the loo. As soon as I sit down I am educated as to the importance of always taking a magazine with you to the loo as another giant cockroach pokes his little head out of the drain in the sink and makes a bee-line towards my face along the countertop. As I am attacking the not-so-little bug half-clothed with a Parents magazine flailing my oldest child is demanding through the door the next line of the scripture she is memorizing for Sunday school the next week, 'Mom, what comes next?' 'Wait' smack, 'just a minute' smack, 'sweetie' smack 'mommie is busy' smack, smack.

Yea, half naked, killing cockroaches with magazines and quoting scripture. Does a day start out any better?

-If I made you laugh, it was almost worth it. I hate it when it rains here, I don't see cockroaches in the house unless it rains. I suppose they are still there, but its true that if I don't see it, it doesn't bother me near as much.

1 comment:

Becki said...

I loved your story Alisa! Thanks for posting it. Ah....life. :)